I was reading Hacking Project Based Learning which is showing  a free webinar June 15, since our school is transforming next school year into a blended learning environment. I was searching things I can prepare for over the summer, and as I feel like I currently do most of these things, there are so many technologies that could be in my classroom that would help me achieve student based learning. I feel my principal falls short in this aspect when I don't even have a projector/ printer/ or student computers for my classes to even look at Art in color!! How are we going to go from straight chalk board classes to even close to technology implementation and project based learning in this building without a fight?  I feel like she need this video.. 

     Tom Murray's blog I feel is more educational in its form. The colors the visual appeal. The benefits include, here are the resources...USE THEM! In my own opinion, I find this helpful more than just a reflective educational blog like this one is. I am new to blogging and still working out my feelings of... Ok...am I doing this right?
     As a leader you should be not only the lead learner but a lead teachers. Like in the video above he said,
 "it's tremendous for the school culture for a leader to sit beside their teachers and learn the new technologies with them."
     I agree, buying new tech or just chrome books in general and handing it out will sometimes just ends up sitting in the cart if teachers aren't comfortable with how to incorporate them! Then they will go back to what they know, and not use it at all. Or use them as incentives to have computer time after you do your assignment.
     My principal does not blog, but she just implemented google classroom mid year to hand in our lesson plans. For me it helps so much in getting them in on time. Because for me, I would type them up save and then get to work start teaching... then forget I never printed it and put them in a bin in the office! I was always in a rush. Now I can submit from home exactly when I'm finished writing them and not miss any deadlines. But, where I feel she fell short was just emailing the link to us saying from now on upload your plans to google classroom, and assuming everyone knew how to use google classroom. Knowing and not considering a large number of classrooms in my building including my own do not even have one student computer! So, I know they're not using it with their students. Then when speaking to colleagues some did not know how to use it, and were frustrated with the change. It was not what they were used to doing. Like in our last chapter about,  because that's how we've always done it.

    I think as a leader, I would even take it a step further, turn it into a blog and then teachers could collaborate and see others plans and more cross-disciplinary curriculum could happen more streamline. It's important as a leader to train at the same time as implementing something new.

Comments

  1. Hi Ashli,

    I love the quote that you highlighted in your post. I agree with your thoughts on the importance of training teachers on how to utilize technology rather than simply handing it out. It is essential to put time towards training teachers so that they are comfortable with the resources rather than assume they will figure it out on their own. I am glad your principal implemented Google Classroom for lesson plans- it sounds it is a much easier process for you. I also liked your idea on implementing cross-disciplinary curriculum. Best of luck! -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've been looking for ways to have the blog not read so plain and seeing what features I can include.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Citizenship

How it all started...